A Mother's Mission
(sandy's thoughts in Italics)
Motherhood is a mission. One of the definitions of “mission” is “ a special assignment given to a person or group that may involve religious instruction or combat” This pretty well sums up motherhood experience.
In my experience as a mother it has involved BOTH religious instruction and combat with the influences of the world upon myself and my family. We need to be “Warrior Chicks” Holly Wagner.
In her book Warrior Chicks Holly defines a warrior and a soldier. Soldier comes from the french word soudoir from the french coin a sou. A soudoir was a man who fought for pay.
“A warrior is one who is engaged aggressively in or experienced in battle. A warrior possess the dedication that money can't buy. A warrior is someone who fights, not because of what she is getting out of it, but because of what she can give. A warrior will do whatever it takes to ensure victory.. A soldier signs up to join the fight; a warrior stays until it is finished. Pg 20,21
Holly says "We do have a an enemy. His greatest weapons are lies and deceptions. In fact, his only weapons are lies and deceptions."
I think these weapons are more lethal than we realize. They weave around us subtly – we are warned in Revelations that even the elect will be deceived. It is why Christ so often states “be on your guard”, “be watchful”.
We do have a battle around us- around our families. As C.S Lewis wrote in his sermon “the Weight of Glory” We need to wage war in order to wake us from the evil-like enchantment of worldliness which has been laid upon us for nearly a hundred years.
Holly states – Trials and challenges are very evident in our world, our country, our city, our families and within our own hearts. Jesus promised us that in this world we would have trials, distress, frustrations, but that we should be at peace because He has overcome the world for us-showing us how to get victory.
The bible says, “in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. The picture for you and me is this: Jesus our conquering General. You and I are part of His army – The warrior chicks! p22
Proverbs 31:15 states “she rises up while it is still night”. Holly states this word is meant to be more than the time of day. It has everything to do with being a woman who “rises” in the midst of hard times. When darkness and chaos abound, the woman, the warrior – YOU - rise!!! p7
Karen Ehan The Guide to Getting and Staying Organized-The reason many moms struggle with feelings of inadequacy and loss of direction is that we fail to see that we are on a mission. We are undertaking a difficult and important series of tasks. Our focus must be clear, and our intent steadfast. p35
Especially needed when the routine is mundane, repetitive and exhausting. We need to remember the end result we are aiming for, and not get lost in the chaos.
To do this, we should come up with our own mission statement. It helps keep us focused on why we are doing all this in the first place – the cooking,cleaning,scrubbing,wiping,kissing,cuddling, and counseling. Put it in a prominent place for those “crazy” moments; scrubbing a baked on mess or mopping the floor for the tenth time( that day). It helps us remember;p36
If you can't love what you are doing, at least you can remember that you love WHY and for WHOM you are doing it.
This truly helped me. I had never articulated my heart until I took a time management for Homemakers course.
It really helped me to evaluate my priorities when family life became” overwhelming”. When I finally took time to look at our life in relation to our “mission” I could see a clearer direction in which to make changes that would benefit the family and get back on God's path.
When my children were at home I wrote the following:
To create a home where my family would learn to love Jesus as their Lord and Saviour, love each other and those God brought into their lives, and be the best they could be in whatever they undertook.
Over the past years my statement has been the following:
God will help me to create an environment so that all who enter here will feel the love and presence of Christ, and that I will hear His clear direction in the way I should go and the tasks I undertake.
As we now pause to write our mission statement may we ponder this prayer I worded from proverbs.
Proverbs 4:11-13 Oh lord as we write our mission statements help us to define for ourselves the mission you have set for each one of us. You know us, and the husbands and children in our care.
May we remember You have taught us the way of wisdom, you have led us in the paths of uprightness.
That when we walk , our steps will not be hampered, and if we run, we will not stumble.
Help us to keep hold of your instruction; not letting go; guarding it in our hearts ; for it is our life.
Hi! My name is Chelsea. I'm a Christian woman who blogs over at 365 Devotions for Unmarried Christian Women. (www.for-unmarried-christian-women.com). I would like to ask you a question about your blog address. I have the address: www.aheartforhome.blogspot.com, but would REALLY appreciate changing it to your address: www.heartsforhome.blogspot.com. My friend's and I are starting a ministry/Etsy business called, "Hearts for Home" and would like to associate a blog with it as well to reach others. Would you consider switching with me? You can email me at Chelsea@for-unmarried-christian-women.com and let me know! Thank you so much and God bless you :)
ReplyDelete